Note this competition is now closed for entries for another year, but there's still time to enter our Flash Fiction Competition, for stories up to 250 words in length.
The Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition is open to writers worldwide. Alexander McCall Smith is the chief judge of the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition. He is assisted by a team of experienced readers who work together in teams reviewing the stories. Each story that makes it to the final round of the competition has been reviewed about 40 times.
- First prize of £1,000 open to writers worlwide
- Two commendations/ runner up awards of £100 each open to writers worldwide
- £500 Isobel Lodge Award open to unpublished writers born, living or studying in Scotland.
- The Scottish Arts Club will present one year free membership of the Club to each of the above winners and commendations. Explore the Club and its many affiliations in other cities (Please note this offer does not apply to current or former members of the Scottish Arts Club.)
- Publication in our new anthology for all finalists who will be invited to the launch of the anthology along with all our finalists since 2014.
- Dedicated page on our website for all finalists to promote their work and share insights about their writing life. The first of our Writers' Pages launched in February 2018.
- The Scottish Arts Club Member's Prize is awarded by our reader's panel to the top story entered by a member of the Scottish Arts Club.
A long-list of the top fifteen authors and titles will be posted on this website on 10 July 2018. The short-list of seven finalists will be published by 20 August 2018. All seven finalists will be contacted by phone or email by 20 August and invited to attend the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Awards Dinner to be held on Saturday 29 September 2018. The stories by all finalists will be published in full on this website.