Above: Jennifer West reacts to the news that she has won the 2016 Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition.
Enter the scottish arts club short story competition
Qualified writers may use the same form to apply for the Isobel Lodge Award. Read more about this award.
1. read The Rules! Here are the most important ones
- Make sure your story is 1500 words or less. If it is one word over the limit it will be disqualified
- Make sure your name does not appear anywhere on your story. All judging is anonymous. Your story comes to use with your entry form. Both are assigned a number and there is no risk of losing track of who has sent which story.
- Your story should not have been previously published, online or in print.
- You may enter the same story in other competitions at the same time but if the story is selected for publication let us know so that we may withdraw it from our competition.
- The £1000 prize is open to wrters worldwide.
- Your story can be on any topic.
2. Pay the entry fee:
Pay £10 per entry by donation to the Scottish Arts Club Charitable Trust. All funds paid to the Trust are used to support the the arts in Scotland. You may pay your fee(s) by credit/debit card, PayPal or by cheque.
To pay via credit/debit card or PayPal
Follow the link to pay £10 per story by donation through the secure Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) website. If entering from outside the UK please choose the option to enter address manually.
Important: When making your donation please do not choose the option to remain 'completely anonymous'. If you do we will not know who you are and will not be able to link your payment to your story. You may choose to have no further contact from us without choosing to be anonymous.
To pay by cheque
Payment by cheque is possible if it is drawn on a UK bank account. Make your cheque payable to the Scottish Arts Club Charitable Trust and for £10 per story entered. On the back of the cheque write your name and email address . Send to:
The Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition Scottish Arts Club Charitable Trust, c/o 24 Rutland Square, Edinburgh EH1 2BW, UK
3. Complete the entry form and attach your story/stories
After sending your fom please scroll up the page to see the acknowledgement. You will also receive a copy of your entry via email. Please get in touch with Dai at email@example.com if you have any questions about your Shotr Story entry.