Above: The doorway into slavery. Elmina Castle, Ghana

"Hemingway’s famous iceberg dictum: only show the top 10 percent of your story, and leave the other 90 percent below water to be conjured."  Grant Faulkner

This competition is now closed for 2018. Entries for the 2019 competition will open on 1 February and close on 30 April 2019.

We are delighted to introduce a new international flash fiction award for stories on any theme up to 250 words.  The competition is open to writers worldwide, published and unpublished. Author Sandra Ireland is the chief judge for the flash fiction competition. She is an award winning poet and accomplished author of 'Beneath the Skin' and the soon to be released 'Bone Deep' as well as the first winner of the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition.

First prize for this award will include:

  • Trophy commemorating the Edinburgh Flash Fiction Award Winner 2018

  • £500 cash award

  • Invitation to participate in the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Awards Dinner to be held on Saturday 29 September 2018 at the Scottish Arts Club in Edinburgh.

  • Publication in our first anthology

  • A dedicated page to promote your writing through our new website.

  • The Scottish Arts Club will present one year free membership of the club to the winner of the flash fiction award. Explore the Club and its many affiliations in other cities Please note this offer does not apply to current or former members of the Scottish Arts Club.

Judging is conducted anonymously by an experienced team of readers.

The entry fee is £5 per story. Writers may enter as many times as they wish. All funds raised are used to support the arts in Scotland.